Swimming Pools and Spas Acid Wash
Benefits of an Acid Wash, How to and How Often to Acid Wash Your Pool
When will I know if my pool needs to be drained and washed with acid?
TThe simplest way to determine if your pool needs an acid wash is when you see discoloring and stains. Several things could change the color of your swimming pool such as pebble, leaves, calcium buildup and rust, copper from the heater, but if you see stains on your pool, then it may be time for an acid wash.
Benefits of an acid wash
An acid wash is commonly used for cleaning stains off plaster pool walls. An acid wash removes scale and calcium from the pool. It also removes stains caused by pool chemicals and embedded algae contamination. Acid wash restores pool plaster topcoats to their former luster and smoothness. It gives the pool a clean look.
How often do you recommend an Acid Wash?
We recommend a consistent and regular weekly or monthly pool cleaning service so algae and stains don't buildup in your pool. An acid wash should be done only as needed. A professional needs to make sure that the plaster is in good enough condition to perform an acid wash.
How do we do an Acid Wash?
Acid wash process is time consuming. We take careful care of your pool and your safety while performing this task. These following steps will give you a general idea of the work included when performing an acid wash.
- Turn off the power to the pool's filtration system, close the fill valve, attach pump to drain water from pool.
- Clean and rinse away any debris from sides and bottom of the pool.
- Apply a formulated mixture of Muriatic Acid, plaster fluid, soda ash, soap and water to the walls and floor of pool. Every one gallon of acid requires two gallons of water and 8 ounces of plaster.
- Brush or Scrub down pool walls and bottom and rinse them thoroughly with fresh water.
- Repeat the acid wash process as necessary until all algae and stains are removed.
- Neutralize acid water solution from the pool
- Drain acid water solution from pool
- Clean and inspect filters
- Begin the refill with fresh water process which may take up to 24 hours.
- Chemically balance pool water and advise you on chemical treatment required upon completion of filling of the pool.
South OC Pools Quick before and after acid wash videos!
Acid Wash Notes
The white mineral buildup commonly found on the water line requires a different type of cleaning than acid wash or chlorine wash.
An acid wash should be performed by a professional only. We do not recommend that home owners try this.
Instructional Video on How to Acid Wash your Swimming Pool!
South Orange County Pool & Spa Services Offers Pool Acid Wash Services
Contact us today to get your swimming pool acid washed. We are professionals and licensed to do so. Make an appointment today to get your pool cleaned today!